Is this for real?
I know nothing about serving food, but quite a lot about customer service. If I ran a cafe or a restaurant I would ensure that customer’s expectations were at least met, and hopefully exceeded every time.
Last Saturday I bought 2 baby cinos for my daughters and was charged $2 for each one. That’s just stupid for 3 reasons.
- I’ll tell lots of people how stupid it is to charge $2 for a thimble of milk with chocolate sprinkles on it (I’ll also tell them the name of the cafe)
- I’ll never go back to that cafe despite whatever else they can offer
- They had a chance to grab me as a lifetime customer, as the cafe is local, and they blew it due to their stupid pricing structure
Compare that with a restaurant in Melbourne who’s pricing policy is to ask customers to pay whatever they felt the meal was worth. They’ve been going well for at least 5 years.
I’d offer free baby cinos and 2 for 1 coffee on certain days if I ran a cafe in a competitive area.
I think most cafe owners are stupid. Try this and see what happens with your customers.
- Give them more than they thought they were going to receive
- Ask them for advice on how the food or service you are providing could be improved
- Provide them with something over above what they were expecting
It’s not actually that hard.
Find out what customers want and provide them with a little bit more.